Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sitting around doing nothing with my mom.

It is the simple moments with my mom that I love. Right now we are sitting in our hotel room watching some silly girlie movie while the kids sleep in the other room. We have been quite lucky over the past couple of years. We have been able to travel quite a bit together all over the world, sometimes with the kids and sometimes without. But the times I cherish the most are just chillin at the end of the day.

A few years ago we were lucky enough to travel to China with the NBA. She had always wanted to go so when I found out about the trip, I organized it so that she could join along. We had a blast and saw both Shanghai and Beijing together. We stayed at some incredible hotels, saw amazing sites and tasted some wonderful food but what I remember most is one hilarious evening.

While in Beijing, my mom had ordered a glass of wine to the room. She hopped in the shower and was just getting dressed when there was a knock on the door. I opened the door while my mom hid in the bathroom. In walked the nicest and shyest room service man. My mom thought that he had left and walked out of the bathroom in her underwear and bra. This super shy room service man didn't know what to do. He just stood there looking at me, half mortified. My mom had no idea he was there for what seemed like 5 minutes. It was probably about 30 seconds later when I casually informed her that we were not alone...I think I said, "He's still here mom." She then screamed and tried to cram herself into the smallest closet ever which was right by the door. The room service man opened the door and walked right by her quietly saying goodbye. We were on the floor laughing about this for, honestly, a few days. Even now, I am absolutely cracking up.

I am very fortunate to have such a great relationship with my mother. She is able to help me with the kids when I need it and is actually, really grateful for the time she gets to spend with them. Can you believe that, she thanked me for getting to spend such quality time with them when in fact she is doing me the favor of a lifetime. Meanwhile I am so happy and comforted knowing my kids are being taken care of by their grandma. I try my best not to take her for granted....I am thanking her all the time. My kids and I are incredibly lucky. Not only do we have a grandma/mom who loves and supports us but we also have a kick ass grandma/mom who is full of life and makes us laugh.

I am hoping that we have many more stories down the road like the one from Beijing. I can just imagine my mom, my daughter and myself doubled over because of something I did. That would be fantastic! Here's to grandmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment