Friday, October 30, 2009

Oh my sleepy head.

How happy would you be if you could get 2 more hours of sleep a night? I know I would be pretty darn thrilled. I don't know where the time goes but I do know that I am tired quite often. In fact, I am tired more than I am refreshed. Don't you remember the days when you could nap on Sunday's? Sounds pretty great, huh? But, alas, there are a few things you can do to put some pep in your step.

First of all, did you know that the more hours of sleep that you get before midnight counts so much more. If you can get to sleep by 10 pm, it is like getting a few extra hours of sleep a night. I don't really know the reasoning behind it but I believe it. I have been going to bed pretty late, lately and no matter what time I get up, I never feel fully rested.

Read a book instead of watching television. I am guilty of this every night. I love watching a little boob tube before catching my zzz's but it can get your brain going rather than slowing it down. How many times have you had a dream that was a variation of what you were watching right before you fell asleep? TV gets your mind going where as reading calms you down. In fact, sometimes I am so tired, I can barely make it through two pages. It seems to put me in the right zone of calm so that I fall right to sleep.

Another great trick to help your body feel rested when you wake up is to drink water before you go to bed. Being dehydrated can zap you of energy and make you feel lethargic. I always have a glass or bottle of water next to my bed. If you don't finish it before bed, make sure to down it when you wake up. It is like super-charged fuel for your body.

Remember that sleep is the way our body recharges. We need to treat our body with care or we will pay the price later on. Be good to yourself and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment