Thursday, October 15, 2009

I am a runner and I love it.

There are several people in my life that don't get how I can love running as much as I do. I understand why they don't like it...it hurts their knees and it is boring are their reasons. I, on the other hand, love almost everything about it.

I started running as soon as I stopped swimming. I have been a runner for 17 years. I can't believe that...I have been a runner as long as I was a competitive swimmer. I started swimming competitive when I was 4 and retired when I was 21. Crazy! I started with an awesome run at Stanford that was very simple and fairly easy, the "Campus Loop." There was absolutely no way of getting lost. Next came the spectacular run along the marina to the Golden Gate...I used to be able to touch the bridge(before 9/11) I later moved to Colorado and started running with my dogs which became a whole other kind of adventure and where I built up a great base because of the altitude. And for 9 years I was seen every day in Central Park, running the 6 mile loop. I love running in NYC! Now I am back at altitude in Park City, UT which is at 7500 ft.

I have literally run all over the world. I have run in Italy, France, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, New Zealand, Australia, Rwanda, South Africa, Mexico, Greece and all over the USA. It is the easiest and most convenient form of exercise because all you need are your shoes and and the open road! And there is no better way to get to know the town you are in than running it. I have found more local coffee shops and fun eating spots this way.

I don't race a bunch but I have run 2 NYC marathons, 3 half marathons and several 5 K's over the years. I try my best just to have fun with my races but who am I kidding, I am competitive to the end. Actually when I ran the NYC marathons, they were some of the best days of my life. I absolutely LOVED that challenge.

But when I think about running, I don't think about challenge or marathon or all the different countries and cities. I think about how wonderful it is to use my body to move and how lucky I am to be alive and healthy. It might sound cheesy but breathing in the fresh air and feeling your heart and lungs and legs and arms working all together is extraordinary. And most times, I am listening to some jammin music and loving it even more. Makes me wanna get on out there right now. Too bad it is 11pm. Guess it will have to wait till tomorrow. If you haven't tried running yet, try it, and if you have, try it again. I hope you love it like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment