Sunday, September 13, 2009

My kids and their budding friendship

I have to say, my kids are at a very fun age. There are times when it is super challenging but they just seem to be turning the corner in the friendship stage. It is adorable. The other day, I watched them walk into the zoo holding hands. It was the only way I could get my son to walk safely through the parking lot. After I asked him to hold my own hand without success, I asked him to hold Skye's and he jumped at the chance. It was like his face lit up at the incredible opportunity and Skye's face lit up because all she wants to do is mommy him. She is so very sweet to him and talks to him with this cute little caring voice.

She even tries to scrunch down a bit when they chat even though she is only a bit taller than him. She tries to ask him questions and give him instructions and they are beginning to carry on a few scattered conversations. They are also beginning to play together on their own and have a blast. It warms my heart to see so much love in their relationship. I had always hoped my kids would have a strong friendship.

My brother and I were super close growing up. He is 2 1/2 years older than me and we did everything together. Or, at least, I would try to do everything he was doing. Often times, if I wanted to play with him and his friends they would give me the worst job..like playing catcher and shagging balls. As we grew older, we would hang out a ton. He was one of my best friends.

I think that it is important for siblings to have strong healthy relationships. It builds their confidence to know they always have someone watching their back. Someone who gets them and will laugh with them. And, it makes life at home awesome.

I know I cannot control every twist and turn in my kids relationship. I am sure they will fight a ton and have their moments of total frustration with one another. But I hope that through family vacations, family dinners and other random family time my hubby and I can help secure a super strong bond between our kids.

For now, I will soak up the sweet moments of the them chasing each other around the kitchen while laughing hysterically, playing sweetly with their toys or simply and proudly holding hands. This is a great time in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment