Friday, September 25, 2009

The best breakfast for your kids.

This was a big debate in our house the other day. I had a friend who said that eggs were, hands down the best thing to have for breakfast, kid or adult. I love eggs but I also brought up oatmeal as a wonderful option. This made me think. Am I feeding my kids the best breakfast possible. It is, after all, the most important meal of the day.

When I was younger, my mom made me oatmeal before every swim meet. She made it in the pan, not the microwave, and loaded it with brown sugar and milk. I loved it. She would say to me, "You better eat all your oatmeal. It sticks to your ribs." I actually believed this. I envisioned the oatmeal sticking to my ribs, giving me energy all day long for my races. Maybe that is why it gave me energy, because I believed!

When I was pregnant with my kids nothing could get me through my morning like a couple of scrambled eggs. The key to a good scrambled egg is butter in the pan. I don't even mix them up in a bowl ahead of time. I just crack um in the pan and break up the yoke right as they are cooking. I also add a dab of salt. So, every morning, while I was pregnant I had two eggs. And you know what, I believed my baby liked it and that it was good for me. Believed, sound familiar?

But now to the best kids breakfast. If you are like me, you are fighting them to eat before heading out for your day or to school. I love breakfast and most times I am done before they even sit down to take a peek at their plate. The most important thing is to give them something healthy. Never give in and feed them sugar cereal. It is 'nothing' before sugar cereal. I usually give them a choice between good cereal or eggs and toast. The one constant at every breakfast is fruit. My kids love fruit. The winner for the best breakfast is...whatever they eat.
Here are your healthy choices...
Cereal with fruit.
Oatmeal (you can get creative and add peanut butter, apples, nuts, etc)
Eggs with some toast and fruit

3 easy options to help your kids and you start the day off on the right foot! Help them believe that what they eat makes a difference in how they grow and behave! Habits start early, make them good ones.

1 comment:

  1. You're so right about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Protein-rich meals such as eggs can help you stay more attentive and concentrate better - ultimately, a nutritious breakfast can help you do better at school (or work)!

    ReplyDelete