Sunday, January 10, 2010

Skiing with Toddlers requires insane organization.

Here is the deal. I grew up swimming. Our checklist includes a swimsuit, a cap, goggles and a towel, if we are lucky. I can carry all that is needed for a fun day in the pool with my 2 gripper fingers. Now, skiing is a whole other ball game.

Let me remind you...I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old. My 3 year old was on skis last winter, takes lessons with her school and can ski by herself and my 2 year old just started last weekend. I feel very lucky for many reasons. #1...both of my kids LOVE skiing. #2...my in-laws LOVE skiing and LOVE to see my kids skiing.

I want to do everything I can to make sure they get out and enjoy the sport as much as possible. But, to do that, it takes a village. Or, a very organized mom....which I am not! On Friday, I forgot my daughter's helmet and goggles. I had to drop her at school, rush back home to get them, and then race back to the resort just in time for her lesson to start. Today, I forgot her boots and my skis and boots. I know...what was I thinking...forgetting my own equipment. But, in my defense, I didn't think they would ski anywhere except the magic carpet. WRONG!!

Kids improve very fast so be ready for it. They went down the magic carpet 4 times and then skied down to the "big lift". I felt helpless and totally lame. Luckily I have my in-laws who are pros and love taking the kids. When I told my mother-in-law my tales of forgetfulness, she gave me a great tip.

She used to have a laminated checklist attached to the kids ski bag. She would check off everything before leaving the house to make sure all was in there proper place. And, you know what...I trust her cause she raised 2 incredible skiers, one being my hubby who went to 3 Olympics in alpine skiing. She told me that people would ask her all the time how she was so organized and she would always refer to the checklist.

This just might be the key to my mommy skiing career. And as far as remembering my own stuff. I feel there is nowhere but up...I have to get better...forgetting my skis is ridiculous! Here is to many more bluebird days with tons of laughter and no whining!

No comments:

Post a Comment