Thursday, January 14, 2010

Even $5 will make a difference and help the people of Haiti!

I remember after 9-11 hearing and feeling from people that they desperately wanted to help in some way but didn't know how. People had the desire to give back a bit more. Give of their time and of their money. Several people, my mom included, didn't know where to give or how to volunteer. That is when I pitched the story of "Volunteer Vacations", where people pay to help, on their vacation. I went to France to help rebuild a castle and to Croatia to help children who had been affected by war. I went to Italy to watch former school teachers teach conversational English.(all of this for the Today Show) The common feeling amongst everyone was that it made them feel good...and you can't put a price tag on that.

I am not going to tell people they should up and voluteer in Haiti right now. And I am certainly not going to pass judgement at all, I am just going to make a suggestion to all of your who read my blog. Donate to help the people of Haiti. Have you watched the news or read the newspaper. It is horrible. Beyond horrible...it is unthinkable. In fact, I was listening to the "Today Show' this morning and Hillary Clinton was describing it as "biblical".

I cannot imagine living your "normal" life one second and then having everything literally turned upside down the next. Think about that...at 4:52, everything was normal and then the earthquake hit at 4:53 and their world will most likely never be the same. My heart absolutely goes out to all the people of Haiti.

I feel helpless during times like this and yet I feel an overwhelming need to help. What I have found to be the most helpful in all of my research is MONEY. I give to the Red Cross.(www.redcross.org) There is no question whether or not they are trustworthy...they are quite simply the real deal.

What I try to do is give as much as I can over a few year period. Right now, Haiti is in the news and getting the world's attention. But in a few months, there won't be many stories about the earthquake and people's attention will be drawn elsewhere. That is when the Red Cross will need even more as it will take a long, long time for Haiti to be back to even their previous standards.

If you think that you don't have enough to give...think again. Give up your Starbucks coffee for a week and give $15. If you aren't a coffee drinker, there is always something you can live without. Haiti needs us. And think about how powerful we can be as a country...if every American gave $5...we could raise about 1.5 Billion Dollars!!! Do what is in your heart and be grateful for where you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment