Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Next year I am going to ask Santa for more patience!

As a mom of an almost 4 year old and an almost 2 year old, I feel like my patience are tested 200 times a day. Obviously, some days are better than others but really, how many times does a mommy have to ask her 3 year old to put on her shoes? It takes about 20 times before I lose my patience...then I take a breath.

I know that my kids react better to any situation when I don't yell. That is why I continue to speak in a very clear and calm voice most of the time. But seriously, there are times when it is needed. And let me be clear, it is not really yelling, it is raising my voice. You know what I am talking about...I remember my parents being pushed to this point many times. And it gets their attention.

I do wish, though, that I had the patience that could last forever. I wish I had this magic touch that could turn any tantrum into laughter and any sibling argument into playing nice. There are times when I do turn to laughter at that moment of losing my patience. It is when I add a little tickle and wait for their mood to totally change. It works every now and then and it brings pure joy to my face.

I guess my real reason for even bringing up the subject is to, once again, remind everyone that we are all in this together. That being parents is not an easy job and that we are never going to be perfect but we should always try our best. There are times when I wish I hadn't raised my voice. And there are also times when it has done the trick. But what I am certain of is that I am going to continue to try to have more patience with my kids. I will try my best to listen. Funny thing is, that is what we are asking of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment