Monday, December 28, 2009

Saying goodbye to family.

I don't know if it is because I come from a divorced family and had to move back and forth between my mom and dad's house every 6 months when I was younger but I have a really hard time saying goodbye to my family. The great part about the holidays is seeing family and even anticipating all the fun...you know, the build up to all the fun. That is why, when it is over and I think of all of the fun that was had, it is really hard to hop in the car and drive away.

I was very lucky. I got to bring my entire crew...my son, daughter and hubby...out to California to my dad's house for the holidays. My brother and I also flew my mom in for a few days. It was everyone in my family, all together and I was in heaven. And I wasn't the only one...the kids were LOVING being around my niece and nephew who are 10 and 11 respectively. Watching the kids together was my favorite part...it absolutely melts my heart to think about it.

My kids were at the center of my niece and nephew's world for a solid 10 days. They helped me so very much and never complained once about getting bit by my son or told on by my daughter. They smiled the whole time and were so very patient. I was super proud of them. Then it hit me...they are 10 and almost 12...in 6 years, one will be off to college. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

I think that is part of what made me so sad. I realized that these visits are so precious and that they aren't going to happen forever. This stage of life is so precious. As much as it is overwhelming at times with poopy diapers and tantrums, it is truly wonderful and precious. Add to that the fact that my dad, his girlfriend, my bro, sis-in-law, niece, nephew, my kids and hubby were all celebrating Christmas in the same room and then I turn into a waterworks!

I am emotional, I know that. But I am also sentimental and I love my family. I don't live 5 minutes from my fam, I live 10 hours. Everyone is busy with schedules and life. Weeks turn into months and months turns into years. I don't want that to happen. I want my kids to know their other cousins, aunt and uncle, papa and lola, grandma and grandpa. I cry when I say goodbye to my family because I had so much fun and because I will miss them. Then I hop into the car and think about when we can get together again. It takes a little while but as I begin to imagine our next visit, my smile reappears.

No comments:

Post a Comment