Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The 10 hour road trip gone GREAT!

Yes, the GREAT was not a typo. Believe me, I thought it was not going to be anywhere near the word but my kids surprise me every now and then. I am not sure how we lucked out. I don't know if it was luck or our stellar planning...hee hee...that brought us from Park City, UT to Granite Bay, CA in less than 9 1/2 hours.

Before the trip even started, I thought I was shooting myself in the foot cause I kept talking about our "plan". I would say, "If all goes according to plan..." And then I would knock on wood. So, here was our plan. Get everything ready the night before. I mean everything...bags packed, snack bag packed, dvd's stocked, house clean, gas tank full. The only things that were left for the morning were to pack the mini ice chest and cut up some fresh fruit. We also opted to have breakfast in the car as it never seems to be a quick meal and always produces such a mess.

So, when the kids got up, we immediately loaded them in the car and off we went. They ate waffles and we drank our coffee. We introduced several new movies which they both thought were pretty cool. One being "Home Alone" which was hilarious to hear and not see. My daughter was REALLY diggin that one.

The kids were amazing. We stopped for lunch at McD's and let the kids run around in the PlayPlace with their sleepers on. Hey, they wanted to. We were having so much fun watching them have fun that I quickly made the call to feed them their lunch in the car. So, we scarfed ours down and encouraged them to run and run. Before we left it was a quick trip to the bathroom for potty and hand washing and then off again!

About 2 hours later, both kids were sacked out and we were cruisin! We sailed like that for about 3 hours until my daughter got up and then we were back to movies and bit of singing. Honestly, where would we be without car dvd players?

Again, I am not going to sound too cocky cause we have to make this very trip back next week but I was super impressed with our road tripping skills. Other than a ting little meltdown from my daughter cause she was car sick on our way through Tahoe, everyone was happy and relaxed. (including the front 2) It was actually enjoyable and I got a glimpse of what it might be like to cruise the open road with a 4 and 6 year old. I might be crazy but it seems pretty fun. For now, I will just pray for a happy 9 1/2 hours back to Park City! Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment