Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Morning Donut Run!

Oh yes, I love Christmas traditions. Some families will remember the wonderful spread on Christmas Eve or the caroling their family did during the week before but as a true SANDERS I think of Christmas morning and one of my first thoughts is of donuts on Christmas morning.

My dad was the culprit. He would get up before all of us...as he was a bigger kid than anyone on Christmas morning...and to kill time, he would go get donuts. Believe it or not, our local donut shop, Bill's Donuts, was always open and the donuts were always hot and fresh!

Don't get me wrong, I loved the gifts of the holidays...waking up to see all the presents and what Santa had brought me but I do LOVE my donuts. Back then, I was an old fashioned kinda girl but now I love maple bars. But, anything would do and my dad always seemed to get the perfect amount of everything. In fact, we seemed to enjoy them well into the afternoon. He always has such a smile on his face when he puts down that pink box.

And now that I think of it, I am not convinced it is the actual donut at all that I love so much. I think it is the fact that my dad is the one who started that tradition and that he finds such joy in delivering the special Christmas morning goodies to our tummies. After all, he was a dentist and he knows how bad they are for us...but he does it anyway because he knows that no matter what, you need to have fun in life...even if it is one donut at a time. Merry Christmas...eat something yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment