Monday, February 8, 2010

We not only survived, we smiled the whole way!

We really lucked out. Or shall I say, I really lucked out. We arrived at the airport to discover we were sharing the plane with a ton of my hubby's friends who were either on the Olympic team or have a connection to the Games. Yay!!! I saw two of our friends and immediately smiled thinking, "they have kids...they know what I am going through." Sure enough, they did and they helped big time. They took turns carrying my car seat and a few bags. My arms were thankful. I do have to say, all throughout the airport, I had very sympathetic looks passed my way. I would simply try to smile back as if I was not concerned in the least. Meanwhile, everyone knew my state as I was completely drenched just after security. Once on the plane, the flight attendant suggested that I sit next to my son and have my daughter sit across the aisle. Hmmm. I wasn't sure how this was going to go over. It started off well since the flight attendant offered up a "surprise" if she sat there. Then, it got even better. The gentleman she was sitting next to was the head coach for the French short track speed skating team. He was so sweet to her! He held her drink, flipped the pages of her book and helped her play with her magnetic game. By the end of our trip, she was resting her feet on his leg and snuggling up next to his shoulder. My son was very sweet and even with his gigantic snow boots on, only kicked the seat in front of him 4 times. Luckily the gentleman in front of him, an Olympian from Norway, was super understanding and very nice. So nice that he gave both the kids Norwegian Olympic pins. The only problem with the entire day of travel came at customs when my son thought it would be funny to run away from me throughout the line. I got a lot of angry faces when this happened and a few stern comments when it happened the second time. But when we made it through the customs door and out into "daddyland", my crew was beyond thrilled! Getting to see daddy was a the icing on the cake for all of us....especially a worn out and sweaty mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment