Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Summer on the Run: Signing up to run with a smile


Summer on the Run is a 12-week blog and video series that follows former Olympic swimmer and avid runner Summer Sanders on her journey to train for Disney's Princess Half Marathon on Feb. 24. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, she will share training tips, and a little inspiration, as she gears up for the main event. Use hashtag #GoRun on Twitter to follow Summer and be part of the ongoing conversation.

Signing up to run ... with a smile

I started running as soon as I hung up my suit. The day after I retired from swimming, I ran with my best friend on Campus Drive at Stanford University; it's a 4-mile loop. I remember loving it from the very beginning. There was so much to see and take in, which was a huge difference from swimming, even at the Olympic level. In the pool, you can't see everything around you or take in the feel of a new place.
But I also remember that running didn't come naturally. Accomplishments are more worthwhile when you earn them -- when you have to work hard to really get something new. I stick to that when my kids, Skye (age 6) and Spider (4), tell me I'm sweaty after a run...Continue reading here at ESPNW.

No comments:

Post a Comment