Saturday, March 6, 2010

Back to life...Back in the swing of things!

Sometimes I worry that my daughter actually HATES school. Or shall I say that sometimes I worry that she dislikes school for good reason. I wonder if she is being teased or if she is too shy. There were a few times when she said she didn't want to go to school and gave us a reason. But mostly, she just doesn't want to go...until she gets there and she LOVES it. When we come back from trips, either long or short, she has a tough time getting back into the swing of our schedule. I try not to jump in immediately but I definitely force the issue on day 2 and 3. The first day back from Whistler, I let her stay home from school. I told her it was so she could get acclimated to the time change and to catch up on her sleep. She felt very special and was a little too excited that she wasn't going to school. When she was celebrating her "stay at home day" I became a little worried as to what Wednesday morning would bring so I began to talk about it. I reminded her of her schedule..."Monday, Wednesday and Friday's, you go to school and Tuesdays and Thursdays you get to go to swim lessons with Spider." She wasn't buying it but I kept saying positive things about school. Swim lessons were awesome. And then came Wednesday. She woke up and immediately asked if she had to go to school. I said yes and you would have thought I told her our dog died. I tried my best not to laugh and also to keep the positive spin. In the end, you know what worked. I promised her we could paint each others nails after school. That was it. She went from total and complete meltdown to super excited all because we were going to paint nails. Do I have a little girlie girl on my hands or what?! She went to school and came home with a huge smile. She forgot all about painting nails and has since been back in the swing of things...for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment