Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Spend as much time as you can outside!

Check the weather ahead of time a plan a camping day with the kids. The only catch with this camping day is that it can all be done in your backyard. (if you don’t have a backyard, find a park close by) Set up the tent before they get out of bed. Next, plan a little picnic and make it the goal of spending the whole day, till naptime, outside.

I live in a snow town so when the weather warms up I can’t wait to head outside. It is as if once the snow melts and the sun comes up I need to absorb the outside as much as I can. I love when my kids get a good day of running around and get completely dirty from a full day outside.

The big reason why I need to concentrate on this “day outside” is because sometimes I get into a television rut. Well, actually my family and I. But I am the one who initially turns on the TV, so I blame myself. I turn on Blue’s Clues in the morning and somehow it stays on until lunchtime. Arrg! It is like a drug. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE television. But once I turn it on, it is like pulling teeth to get my 3 year old to do anything else. And it really bothers me if it is a sunny day outside and we are inside like bumps on a log!

Get some great activities lined up and have some fun. Here are some ideas.
Ride the trike.
Blow some bubbles.
Read some books in the tent.
Play tent tag.
Have a picnic.
Bring inside toys, outside. (they turn into a whole new toy!)
Art Art Art….anything messy can be done without worry outside.
If it’s hot, turn on the hose for a bit…or, if you are lucky enough, take a dip in the pool!
Tell stories, just like around a campfire.

Enjoy my little campers

No comments:

Post a Comment