Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sibling love


There's always going to be sibling rivalry, but what I cherished most was the sibling love.


My brother and I were very close growing up.  With our parents divorced since I was 7, we were each other's constant as we moved from mom's house to dad's and back every 6 months. More than that, I knew that my older brother, my hero, had my back.  And even though he made me work for it to play with his friends and him, he was my best friend and biggest fan.

That’s why it’s so great when I look at my sons face and know he thinks the same about his sister. He could not love or look-up to his older sister any more than he does.  He longs for her to watch him, listen to him, play with him...show him any kind of attention really. When the love is mutual, it is beautiful and warms my heart. And Skye loves to make everything better for her brother. It is top 5 on my list of goals as a parent, fostering this sibling love. But I also realize that the status of their relationship is mostly up to them.

At its best, it's such a joy...I hope it continues to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment