Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A few extra seconds could mean the world.

Our daily lives are busy. Our schedules are overloaded. We are hurrying to school, from school, to activities and in the middle, trying to work. In the grand scheme of things, it is 18 solid hours of running around. But when you break it down, there are so many little moments to cherish within the big picture. My daughter reminded me of this very fact a few weeks ago.

This is how it went down. I came in from a morning full of meetings and errands to relieve my babysitter and take the kids to gymnastics. I ran in and immediately began happily yelling for Skye to get on her leotard. She came running from her room proudly holding some papers she had colored. I looked at it for a few seconds, gave her a big hug and then rushed her to get ready for gymnastics.

We were out of the house about 3 minutes later…rushing rushing rushing. The rest of the night was a lot of the same. "Hurry get in the car." "Hurry buckle your belts." "Everyone wash your hands." "Everyone sit down for dinner." "Finish your food!" "Hurry, upstairs for bed."

I put the kids to bed and as I was cleaning up around the house, I came upon the picture book that Skye was so very proud to give me. I flipped through the pages of beautiful flowers with sunshine all around and fun shapes with different colors. And then I turned it over and she had written the most special words in the world. The very words I would LOVE to hear a million times a day as they would never get old. "I LOVE MOMMY! I LOVE MOMMY! I LOVE MOMMY!"

I immediately went back into the kids' room and Skye was laying there with her eyes wide open. I walked over to her, leaned down and said I was sorry I didn't take the time to read the back of her book and that I LOVED it more than anything. Right then and there, my daughter reminded me to take a few extra seconds to notice the little things. A few extra seconds could lead to the greatest words in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment