Tuesday, March 22, 2011

World Water Day

I should know a thing or two about water….I feel I have spent more time in water than I have in school. Somewhat scary! But, I also know a thing or two about the non-chlorinated kind.

I grew up in Northern California when ever summer was considered a drought. We never had enough water to keep our lakes full and I was always worried that we were going to run out of the good ole H2O. I grew up thinking and believing that water was a precious commodity. And I try to do the same with my kids.

Here are a few easy ways to conserve water that your kids will actually GET!

Turn the water off when you are brushing your teeth. Just a splash to wet your toothbrush and a few rinses to get the toothpaste off at the end. This was drilled into our heads growing up. In my world, there is no other way to brush your teeth.

This one may be a little gross but, in your most active bathrooms, use this motto, “If it’s yellow let it mellow, If it’s brown, flush it down.” I remember seeing this sign in a Berkeley bathroom when I was younger…it made me giggle but the rhyme stuck.

Only wash your clothes if they are dirty. Even little kids have a semi-clean day and don’t need to wash their jeans. Cut down on the amount of laundry you do by washing only when things are filthy.(really need it)

Make your shower shorter. Honestly, you don’t need to wash your hair every day. I wash mine every 3rd or so…gotta give the locks a break. So, do a quick wash-a-roo and be done. Save the longer shower for another day.

Just a few friendly tips in celebration of World Water Day, March 22, 2011! Drink some H2O and be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment