Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Top 10 Must-Haves for International Travel

As talk of the Winter Games picks up, and travel stories abound, I couldn’t help but reflect on the items I find as must-haves for international travel. I’m not talking about the basics like clothes and toothpaste, I’m talking about those things that make the list because you’d be hampered without them. And since I just packed for 25 days in Russia, I thought I’d share my list for Sochi. While this is not like a David Letterman Top 10, some of them may surprise you.

Here are 10 things I absolutely could not do without on this trip…in no specific order.

1. On-the-go charger. This bad boy has two full iPhone charges in it, and since I have no idea where I’ll be or when (and getting a glimpse of my kids is a priority), this is essential for me to feel connected.
2. Waterproof footwear. For me those are now Wellies. They’re always on the bubble during packing due to their size, but they always end up making the list. There’s nothing worse than traveling around all day with wet feet and pants. Between the construction and the rain here in Sochi, I was told these boots were a MUST. Thank goodness I bought them for London. Nice to see two Games working together wardrobe-wise.
3. Snacks that pack a punch. Pistachios and Kind Bars are my go to protein snacks. If there is one thing I know for sure after 9 Games, meals are often an after thought. Life gets CRAZY when trying to take in all the action while traveling, or reporting about it, or even compete in it. So I have learned to bring and keep a meal in my bag. If you don’t, you either go hungry or eat junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment