Friday, April 8, 2011

How cool are you, really?

There was a time when I was cool. Or so I thought. But I have to say I am not completely, "down with" the cool lingo these days so I have a tendency to nervously make up my own.

It started about a year ago when I responded to someone's crazy story, IN EMAIL, by saying, "That's whacked." I was quickly corrected by the cool police and told I should have replied, "That's whack." My mistake. And so, I took that as a sign to not attempt to be cool…in other words, be myself. Find my own little happy medium between cool and downright strange.

I like to think I came from the generation of the REALLY cool lingo…I mean, like, you totally have to remember Valley Girl talk. I remember having the stickers to remind me of all the cool phrases….maybe even a pair of jeans with the phrase on the back pocket. For Sure. Gag me with a spoon. Come on, you know what I am talking about. I don't remember using this speak all that much but it gave me a little confidence to know that I had the correct phrases in my back pocket, literally.

Every now and then I will throw, Rad into the conversational mix and most kids look at me like I just farted…both disgusted and confused. Instead, I now say words incorrectly almost on purpose…Oh Snack, instead of Oh Snap is one of my favorite examples. Life is a whole lot cooler when you keep people guessing and wondering, "Did she just say the right?" Hells yeah I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment